KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got or used one?

Thinking it might be useful to clean the bike before putting it in the van and to save cleaning it at home.

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Don’t bother Andrew, mate bought one, I could piss harder.

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tom - l'll knock that thought on the head. ........ l did wonder if it was as described '10 times more power than a hose pipe' ......... (probably is if the hose pipe is turned off ;-) ..... )

·
Registered
537 Posts
Petrol pressure washer
length of hose
100 litre strata garden water butt from Argos secured to the bulkhead

an additional 25L drum for filling if there is a tap nearby and I have more than one bike.

Thats all I have in a crappy Citroen dispatch. However it works perfectly and means I take the bike home clean

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Splendid idea.
I could try a similar set up with my old generator and pressure washer.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have one and am happy with it.
The power from it is half way between a hose pipe and a normal pressure washer - which is exactly what I want.

I clean the cars, bike and MTB with it and don't need to worry about dragging a hose pipe and extension cable round the house, just a bucket of water. I don't want to blast paint off or force grit into bearings etc. I've used it to clean clay out of my MTB tyres which I could not have done with a hose pipe. I know you can control the distance on a pressure washer but this suits my purpose.

I have the additional extra power battery and the standard one will just about do a car with rinse, snowfoam and clean.

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A-ha. Thanks for that. The concept is ideal (easily chuck it in the van for post ride use etc etc) ........ the reviews are very mixed online though ...... its either 'just the job' or really rubbish .......

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Dirt bikes can be hard to clean, especially if grass is matted in with the mud. I think it depends on the consistency of the mud.
I have had times when even my low'ish powered jet wash (lidls brand) was not shifting it from around the shock & swing arm so I had to get in there with my hands and dig it out. I've never had that issue with the high powered ones on garage forecourts though.

I would love to spare my bike from the jet washer as the bearings do suffer, but sometimes it's so caked in dry mud that there really isn't much alternative. When it's bad a standard hose pipe just won't get the job done as you need both the pressure and the flow, and to get that you need about 1.5 - 2 kW of power. That's where all of these battery powered things fall down.
Just looking at the figures to see how far away we are from having a powerful battery powered pressure washer.

1.5kW @ 18volts is 83 amps (that's a lot for sustained use).
To run for 15 minutes would mean your need a 21 Ah battery, 5 Ah seems to be the max available for tools right now.

But as DT has said, it can be useful at some tasks.

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not much clay around here - its mainly sand and chalk so the mud isnt 'devon' standard.

I like the idea of cleaning the bike post ride rather than doing it at home (very paranoid now following bike thefts).

Other maintenance is done indoors.

Similarly, not keen on using PFS pressure washing facilities (plus they are too powerful for my liking)

Thanks all, much appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts