KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
A hybrid between the older CC fork and cone valves. The preload is same as cones but I expect you get a mid valve shim stack and bladder instead of cone and spring and ICS spring instead of a bladder. I can’t see an extra screw for bladder adjustment so maybe the upper section is an ICS spring like on CV and KYB forks? That’ll make services dead easy like with CV. It’s all just nuts and bolts.

They will be good once set up. Easier to fettle. It’s not clear if any fancy coatings are used but they sure look pretty! Are they the same level as Sphere? Only one way to find out....

This is what should come as stock forks on the six days if nothing else. At the very least it should be an option when buying a new bike from KTM, they should take the xplor back and give you these at a discount price.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Good assessment Pindie... was squinting at them thinking there’s was an awful lot of familiar parts there. Some might say that’s how the forks should be on a ready to race bike north of eight grand...

Not done mine yet but seen my mate do his... the cones all clever mechanics inside but just nuts and bolts. Doddle to work on with the right tools.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Yes, the inner body looks very cone valve like with just a simple hole in the cartridge to bleed. Super easy! The spring guide is also full of holes to allow oil to get wherever it wants. I note that in the image they show a bottoming cone on the cartridge. This means your chrome tube will need unscrewing from the fork foot to allow fitting OR removal when you change bikes. It’s not quite as simple as swapping the internals only. This bottoming cone bit is a bummer.

Some won’t like the simple screw adjuster on the top. The bar position can make access to this screw tricky and you need a screwdriver. The good bit is this forces you to test and find a setting. Once you have a setting there shouldn’t be a need for any further fiddling. Like cones/kyb.

I firmly believe that normal xplor comes with the easy adjuster clickers purely because they don’t work. Ktm think that by the time you’ve exhausted all combinations of clickers and realised they don’t work you’ll either be ready for a new bike or will have already got Sphere/new forks- clearly why they have come up with this.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hmm.... I think that's a ballsy and really patronising move from KTM. So they see that people are going out spending loads of money on their forks and think "We'll have some of that" but given their sub-standard forks are the reason for the gap in the market, I see that as really fucking cheeky. I'd pay the money but I'd much rather pay it to someone else if I'm honest. Or as said, some kind of upgrade fee rather than full price. Dicks.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is WP owned by KTM ?

I thought of it more like “ yeah we are briefed with a budget so they are cheap and it’s only going to get worse . CV’s are expensive so we need a middle ground“ 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Spot on again [mention]Pindie [/mention]getting at the top clicker can be a pain but once set up you don’t need them... a clicker would be handy for switching surfaces though. Bottoming cup can only be a good thing... take it all closed cartridge forks are a bottoms off job to switch springs anyway?

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
What you can do with a cartridge fork is turn upside down on a soft pad to not damage the top- probably why decent forks still use a screw head? Undo rebound adjustment and push fork down. Expose rod. Remove rebound adjuster from rod. Replace rebound in fork bottom. Turn fork right way up. Remove cartridge. Fish out spring. Change. Cartridge back in. Turn upside down. Reverse rebound removal process. Crack on.

Not as simple as OC/Xplor to change a spring but doable at the track if required. I personally find it easier to just drain everything into measuring pots (cartridge doesn’t need draining). I know how much oil I originally put in so I adjust accordingly and tip back in, especially if it’s done only a few hours. It’s not often you alter springs though so no big deal. Outer cartridge oil can be any old fork oil, only the inner needs nice stuff. Saves money and keeps things feeling good.

I’m tempted in chopping in my sphere for a set of 6500s just to have a play with them and see if I can get them working as nice as the cones or sphere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@Pindie did you ever look into getting these? I'm quite tempted for a supermoto setup as the preload adjustment is a nice plus over the stock AER setup. Have been looking at the Spheres as an option but I have an old pair of CC forks I might try first before going that route.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I’ve not tried them. I haven’t gone for them I’m the end as went new bike direction instead. There’s a thread or two over on KTM talk about them but there’s not masses of information.

The more you look at them the more you realise that they are a cone valve cartridge but just using a normal shim stack mid valve. The fits the KTM business model perfectly. They only need to make one set of tubes and cartridge components. They then add a cone valve to one and charge mega wonga or the add a shimmed mid valve instead and still charge strong money. They can’t lose.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
So anyone ridden on them and got any feedback?.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Loving that adjuster tool!
If those inserts are like cones then once you have them right you don’t adjust them. They work everywhere. They only put clickers with east twisters to keep people busy on forks that don’t work.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Me too, be sure to let us know........

Reactions: enduro boy

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First ride with the inserts. Think they are set a bit hard for me but definite improvement over the XP1 kit. Far from a good rider so just my impression plus the course wasn’t somewhere I usually ride.

Seemed to soak up the smaller stuff,tennis ball size random rocks a lot better at the speed. Never felt like was pinging off anything. Stuff I’d expect to be shaken about with felt way smoother. Random rock surfaces etc.. Lots of loosing the front down to roots and slippy stone at this place and my shit line choice but looking back I never actually went down which surprised me.

Any soft built up berms felt the front just tracked better where I pointed where before mid turn it tended to push itself wide or wash out mid turn.

Open fields at higher speeds, coming across random dips seemed to disappear. Must be a big improvement there as the amount of ‘oh shit’ moments because I was used to what the xp1 would have done, basically kicked up, ended up as non events.

Probably try them up at Cowm next and back the rebound off a few clicks. Should be able to see a difference up there.

Overall happy on first outing. Apart from dabbing and kicking a boulder that decided not to move and now have a black big toe 🤣

Fitted by Mark at RSS in just over an hour inc a new seal and slider rings. 👍🏼

1 - 20 of 45 Posts