21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Good stuff! Good to hear a real opinion on these cartridges

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Would consider them but not sure if they’d be better than my Spheres.....?..

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Spheres are doing the same thing so plenty good enough. Biggest difference is sphere use a bladder where as the 6500s use an ICS spring like KYB or cones. This is the bit that keeps pressure on the base valve to reduce cavitation. On sphere you can adjust pressure easily using a needle and pump, to change an ics spring is possible but just more of a faff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just jumping on this post in case anybody wants some feedback as it seems pretty limited on these forks.

I've just had a set installed on my 2021 xplor forks and wow what a difference!!!
When I first got to the wood to try them out I had mooch around at low speeds checking the area for fallen debris etc.there wasn't much difference that I could tell, but when I started riding around quicker they really really stood out compared to the standard xplor fork.

For context I struggled on the standard fork with it blowing through the stroke on big hits and sharp braking bumps, over small loose rocks and roots it would try to ping off and bounce around. Faster straights would have been very skittish and under heavy braking and cornering the front was more unstable and would dive and try and tuck.

On the new inserts there was none of that at all. When riding over smaller loose rocks and roots the front felt planted and wasn't skipping around everywhere, the first 1/3 of the travel was working like it should and soaking up the smaller stuff lovely, for me the biggest difference in the rocky/loose stuff was the confidence it gave accelerating and over rocks etc. you could carry a lot more speed.
The fork really excelled on the faster stuff, when riding quickly down the fire tracks and field work it was sooo much more predictable and stable. There was no twitchiness to the front end, the skittish feeling had gone and it was so much more planted. The diving and tucking under braking which was obviously occurring because of soft standard forks was gone and any large braking bumps or whoops at speed felt a lot more stable with the fork not blowing through the stroke and slamming out.
It really did seem the harder you rode the fork, the better it performed.

I was abit sceptical about spending alot on the forks, but i cannot believe what a difference it has made, i've been lucky enough to ride the standard xplor and my new inserts back to back on the same day as my brother has the same bike without the inserts(He is now getting them).
For a cost comparison exercise i thought of it as this:
Keeping standard xplor forks + uprated springs and the valving tuned as per Steves spec = £470, Rear shock valved and fettled =£265 Total £740
New inserts with standard springs and rear shock revavled and fettled £1175, with the bonus of how easy it is to swap the inserts from old forks into new and take them with you that £400 extra is cost neutral once you swap the inserts into a new fork.

Will it make me faster? I hope so. Will it make me more confident? Instantly!

Also props to Steve Plain. I sent the forks and shock up on the Monday Morning, Had them back by Thursday Lunchtime.
For reference I had the 6500 pro inserts in the front and the rear shock valved and fettled. Springs standard were fine for my weight as I'm 79kg with no riding kit on.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Nice job! I found the same when I fitted sphere. The 6500s are as simple to operate as cone valves though as no needle for the bladder like on CC or sphere. Why they didn’t do these when they first made Xplor I’ll never know.

I have yet to try a set of Xplor that feel “safe”.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Are these inserts the same whichever bike with Xplor forks you buy them for? I was looking at the K-Tech ORVS system and they seem to have 1 model for 2017/18 and a different one for 2019 on.

I have a 2017 350 and want to be sure they would move to a bike later than 2018 or from 4T to 2T.

Is there much tuning to do before fitting? I'm happy to strip forks and swap springs but I haven't a clue about shim stacks.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I’m pretty sure 6500s are for all Xplor. They replace everything inside. Should be bolt in and play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are these inserts the same whichever bike with Xplor forks you buy them for? I was looking at the K-Tech ORVS system and they seem to have 1 model for 2017/18 and a different one for 2019 on.

I have a 2017 350 and want to be sure they would move to a bike later than 2018 or from 4T to 2T.

Is there much tuning to do before fitting? I'm happy to strip forks and swap springs but I haven't a clue about shim stacks.
If you get somebody like Steve plain to do them, you just send them your forks and they fit them. They have tested them in the field to come up with a great base setting. I told them my weight, he valved to suit and i bolted them straight in and off i went, felt perfect from teh get go.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Cheers, I'll give Steve a ring. It's a long drive for me to his place and I don't want to trust my forks to a carrier.
So if he can do his magic before he sends me the inserts, I'm happy to fit them and my existing springs and I've got a stock of good oil. I just don't want to be going anywhere near shim stacks myself.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Ordered these from Steve told him id fit them myself fairly straight forward with Steve’s instructions oil 380cc per leg spring 475
Comp 16 rebound 16 😂
Told me why bother with cone valve’s just buy these to say I'm shocked at just how good they are is an understatement
Silk compared to the standard 22 forks

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Any xplor feel like complete shite compared to the real deal. The 6500s seem the best function and best priced forks by none. They are like a kyb/cc/cv fork hybrid. In my opinion these forks should come on the six days and erzberg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone gone from a ORVS setup to 6500?

The ORVS is a huge improvement over stock but find its still not perfect and wonder if the 6500 would be better.

i personally find i have to go quite soft in order to get best performance out of rough river bed type terrain but then leave myself open to blowing out the forks if i hit a jump etc. My understanding is this is where the cone valve setup shines

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I have a set of cone valve forks. They work like nothing else. They have an odd feeling of being firm but they aren’t. The cone can simply open and allow a spike of energy disappear quickly then as it closes up again normal damping resumes. Sure they take a bit of set up to get right (very sensitive to float/bleed) but they are awesome forks. The 6500s have the same external adjustment as cones, just not the cone valve itself inside. 6500s are using a shim stack mid valve. There’s nothing wrong with this when set up right. All cartridge forks will cope better with unexpected big hits like a log or ditch hidden in grass or stumps.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The CV/6500 setup forks (and the other CC forks?) have hydraulic stops in them to resist bottoming out and are pressurised in the cartridge by a spring and the seals. They work great when in good fettle but there’s at least twice as many parts in the rebuild kits vs the OC forks.

I run the MX oil volume in mine so that I can have good bottoming resistance without going to an SX weight spring for my weight. Keeps it where I can adjust within XC range +/- for desert and gravel/rocky trails.

If the 6500 is as good as the cone valve forks (same same with different mid valve), then they’ll be excellent and very versatile. +/- four clicks and three turns of preload and you’ve got a fork that’ll do hard pack through to open desert running. Great setup.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are these 6500 inserts comparable to the Ohlins TTX cartridge? I saw a used set of TTX for sale for £700.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are these 6500 inserts comparable to the Ohlins TTX cartridge? I saw a used set of TTX for sale for £700.
Why would you buy a set of used TTX that needs servicing and modifications to suit your weight/ riding skills when you could buy these brand new for 850ish built to your specifications?
These high-end fork cartridges could actually be worse than stock if not serviced and set up(shims, springs, air gap) properly for the rider.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why would you buy a set of used TTX that needs servicing and modifications to suit your weight/ riding skills when you could buy these brand new for 850ish built to your specifications?
These high-end fork cartridges could actually be worse than stock if not serviced and set up(shims, springs, air gap) properly for the rider.
That's why I am asking which is a better investment. Leaving the money side of the equation out - the 6500 is a better option?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts