KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys..

last weekend i went for a two day trip covering over 700 miles. Weather was great so I enjoyed that as much as I could.. thing that almost spoiled my weekend was a pain in my right wrist. this pain occured about 100 miles into my trip and started to getting worst.. at the end of the day i was glad i stopped and was able to lift a pint.. the second day it was even worst..

I've read few advices on other forums like lowering the levers.. I'll try that. I was just wondering what adventure owners do to prevent it. I am 6-4 tall so maybe some handlebar raisers or bigger (fatter) grips might help??

Thanks for advice..

·
Registered
388 Posts
The adventure has such an upright riding position that I can't imaging anyone having that much weight on their wrists to cause that much pain. Sports bikes and similar have a far more leant forward position.
Is it possible that you are tense when riding? what I mean is you might be gripping the bars too tightly and tensing your hands, wrists and fore arms. And some people do it without realising it. Maybe something to think about next time you ride.

You can get bar risers for the adventure. KTM do one which is only a couple of centemetres I think, but there are others on the market to go up a couple of inches. Someone will come along with a link in a minute I'm sure.

Try sitting on the bike and put yoourself in the riding position you woulld like, and then see where your imaginary bars are relative to the real ones. Measure the horizontal and vertical distance and maybe that will give you a reference you can use to shop for th right bar risers if that's what you need.
I was thinking of risers for me too as I'm 6ft 2" and standing up off road isn't that comfortable as I have to bend down a lot to hold the bars. My wrists are fine in the seated position though.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Too much masturbation and not enough riding - I often have this complaint if rubbing one out just prior to a long motorway journey and have learnt to adapt. You should decide on which is more important, take 5 minutes to decide whether to "Wank......or fill the tank" Hope this helps, and good luck :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The adventure has such an upright riding position that I can't imaging anyone having that much weight on their wrists to cause that much pain. Sports bikes and similar have a far more leant forward position.
Is it possible that you are tense when riding? what I mean is you might be gripping the bars too tightly and tensing your hands, wrists and fore arms. And some people do it without realising it. Maybe something to think about next time you ride.

You can get bar risers for the adventure. KTM do one which is only a couple of centemetres I think, but there are others on the market to go up a couple of inches. Someone will come along with a link in a minute I'm sure.

Try sitting on the bike and put yoourself in the riding position you woulld like, and then see where your imaginary bars are relative to the real ones. Measure the horizontal and vertical distance and maybe that will give you a reference you can use to shop for th right bar risers if that's what you need.
I was thinking of risers for me too as I'm 6ft 2" and standing up off road isn't that comfortable as I have to bend down a lot to hold the bars. My wrists are fine in the seated position though.
Thanks. I'll try to relax meself although I think I am not tense.. i used to be when i first got the bike. i could say because i could feel shoulders and arms muscles.. I'll try anyway..

It seems I am the only only who has got the problem.. oh no.

Too much masturbation and not enough riding - I often have this complaint if rubbing one out just prior to a long motorway journey and have learnt to adapt. You should decide on which is more important, take 5 minutes to decide whether to "Wank......or fill the tank" Hope this helps, and good luck :)
thanks but with all respect i think you should find yourslelf a girlfriend so you do not have to face dicissions like that.. don't worry about me.. i have someone to rub one out for me :cool:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I get a pain in the neck,have done ever since doing some big mileage days around Europe. :-/

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Haha.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
The Adventure bars have quite a lot of sweep.
Maybe a straighter bar might be better suited?

The other thing you can experiment with is rotating your bars. Rotating them back/down will reduce the back-wards sweep a bit - and angle the bars down a bit. See if that helps.
(Alternatively, rotate them fwd & up - and see if that makes things worse - will help narrow down what to fix)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
You can also buy some vibranators (no joke :) ) they're a weight which screw on the inside of the bars, this cuts down the vibes. There are two versions of the weights, I'm sure there's a weight difference between the two? Sleepyhollow has got the details of the guy who supplies them.

I did suffer a bit with the same symptoms, but I fitted the smaller option of the vibranators and I had a good ride out last week 260 odd miles and it wasn't half as bad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Adventure bars have quite a lot of sweep.
Maybe a straighter bar might be better suited?

The other thing you can experiment with is rotating your bars. Rotating them back/down will reduce the back-wards sweep a bit - and angle the bars down a bit. See if that helps.
(Alternatively, rotate them fwd & up - and see if that makes things worse - will help narrow down what to fix)
I must try that. To buy another handlebar is a last option once I ruled out everything else.. Thanks for a tip..

You can also buy some vibranators (no joke :) ) they're a weight which screw on the inside of the bars, this cuts down the vibes. There are two versions of the weights, I'm sure there's a weight difference between the two? Sleepyhollow has got the details of the guy who supplies them.

I did suffer a bit with the same symptoms, but I fitted the smaller option of the vibranators and I had a good ride out last week 260 odd miles and it wasn't half as bad.
Never heard of them before but had a look on its website and some other forums and it seems to do the job. Thanks for the tip. I will first try adjsuting the handlebars and if this will not help i still have a chance to fix..thats encouraging. I don't know what your symptons were but pain i experience is beyond my limits.. so i must cure it somehow. Two days after and my wrist is still in pain :mad:

Thanks for the tips lads... it is greatly appreciated ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have similar problems on long rides, as it is only the right hand I think it is related to gripping the throttle. I am considering a crampbuster from Scottoiler

http://www.scottoiler.co.uk/pc/Accessories/Crampbuster_-_Standard.html

For the sake of £8 I think it is worth a punt, not sure I could live with it riding off road but I reckon it would make life easier on long distance slogs.

Anyone else tried one of these?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think my problem come from holding on the grips to tight as well. First step i'm taking is to get a summer gloves. i still have only winter gloves so can't feel grips properly.. also i think my wrist might be weak so i have to get one of those rubber rings and excercise.. or just get out on the bike more often.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts