KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am still having that stall out at a stop light problem but normally I revv it so the RPMs wont drop so low.

Today I had to slow down since the car in front of me put on his brakes for no reason.. I twist the throttle to get going again and...... nothing happens... I say WTF and clutch it and revv it.. it takes a little bit but it finally revs. It does this again shortly after.

After riding a bit she seemed ok.
Although I was passing some cars and shifted up to 4th and holey hell she shot out like her butt was on fire! I slid to the back of the seat being stopped by my tail piece. TOTALLY out of no where! Yes I had it gassed but damn... She's never done that! Went from yea going fast to pass to THAT. Freaked me out but made me smile lol

Guess I'll be calling KTM USA tomorrow and asking WTF. The mechanic at my shop REALLY doesn't like working on my bike so i'm going to have to see what KTM thinks. Seems to me there is a gas/injector issue.

:sigh:
I should tell them to just send me a free Akra system and K&N filter and we'll call it even. hah...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
how far into the ride was you.? could it be the clutch grabbing. happens sometimes before the bike gets upto temp

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike was close to 200 degrees by then... I always let it sit and idle for a while before I ride.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
What's wrong with your mechanic ? The post should read 'My mechanic WTF'

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm the only person with an RC8 anywhere around. I had to drive 5 hours just to get the one I have. My mechanic is use to working on dirt bikes. He's seen the prices of things for my bike so it makes him nervous to work on it or be around it. lol
He always wants to call KTM before touching my bike so he doesn't have to explore. We called them about the stalling out issue and they were suppose to call him back but never did. I'll give them a call today about everything though. I'm going to Indy motoGP here in 2 weeks and really don't want my bike to be acting up while out of town!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Have you tried the 15 minute warm up on the paddock stand to re-set the ECU. Do not touch the throttle, in fact don't even look at it.

PLC (worked for me)

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Fook callin KTM USA, phone KTM UK. What do the bloody yanks know.;)

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Bahahahaha maybe they just aren't magicians;)

Take that fookin bike back and get a real one.:D

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Haha yours is havin all the probs mate. It's a right shame cause your missing out.:frown:

·
Registered
353 Posts
mines is sharing problems others are having as well yeah granted mines has had a few more lol and as for missing out i got the sm to play on but as i said quality isnt one of ktms strong points

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Well no but then they arent as big as say Honda. that was part of the fun for me. Obviously it doesn't sound that much fun:eek:

·
Registered
353 Posts
oh its fun alrite i love the 8 lol

its got nothing to do with the size of the compamy quality control is exactly that regardless of compamy size, just think that a company that gives it all the charlie big uns "ready to race" blah blah and look at the amount of problems they are having

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes I tried the reset and it didn't do a damn thing.

I spoke to a guy at KTM US and he said he's heard of the stalling out issue. He sat there and thought about it for a while and then said it's probably an emissions issue.
Then started talking about the catch can in the tank and some carbon filter or something (I was multi tasking only half way listening). He later called me back and told me to disconnect the hose on the right side of the tank - plug it - and zip tie it away. He said try that and see if it changes anything.

I was too lazy to get to it yesterday, i'll try to find time today at work to yank 'er off there.

He was saying the gas could get into this filter thing by doing wheelies or hard starts. This would cause the bike to run a bit rough at first. WTF? It's a "ready to race" bike shouldn't it be ok with gassing the damn thing? lol

She just doesn't want to rev during the first part of the ride. She studders a bit. (after letting her idle for a bit to warm up) And I'm not talking about Squid revving.. just a blurt of the throttle.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Been reading the thread, interesting comments from some of your mechs.. Tell your man the RC8 is as easy as any dirt bike, just two pistons rather than one.. :) If he's good with new type MX and Enduro singles he should be just the man for the RC8..anyway he must work on KTM off roaders so tell him to chill...lol

Could be a problem with sensors, both exhaust sensors could be at fault (one of them even) or air presure sensor in the air box, I am not sure how the US bike is setup over the UK bike, I guess it is much the same other than evap tank etc.. You could ask them to refresh the ECU and even try another map? They should check CO2, TPS etc and throttle body balance, all a piece of cake for the dealer! Your man (the MX chap) can do most things but the shame is the KTM diag tool is a must for problems like this! Also sounds like a simple answer but plugs may be failing too, the RC8 has some fancy plugs and I think from memory they are not cheap, but defo worth asking the dealer to change them for you....they "should" be happy to help, tell them its a safety thing so fix it.. :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I like it two people where talking so I was only half listening......thats multitasking.....lol

That explains car parks then 99 spaces free so only 1% left for driving....lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
some of the guys riding 990 Adventure used to have the same problem with their bikes and I think it was the air filter related issue (air leak or something, I could be wrong tho). try finding the thread or just ask them. HTH

1 - 20 of 63 Posts