KTM Owners Forum banner

XC OR EXC??...200, 250 or 300??....choices, choices

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  titch 
#1 ·
New to this lads and haven't even got a ktm....:wanker:
However i'm having a dilemma i love the 2 strokes and am thinking about the xc200, but will i be gutted if i find i'm out of power and wish i'd got the 250 or 300. Also not many xc's around all seem to be exc's. Anyone out the ridden these bikes and can tell me if the little xc200 will be competitive in hare and hounds and the odd beach race, also is there that much difference with the exc and xc gear box? won't be green laning just competeing when i can.
Cheers

#2 ·
The 200 may be little in cc's but not attitude.
It's the jack russel of dirtbikes.
You may find the xc250 easyer to live with, I'm going to try one in a couple of weeks I'll let you know (good review in this months TBM)
The 300's just for hairy chested nutters who like riding round on the back wheel:)

#4 ·
The 200 may be little in cc's but not attitude.
It's the jack russel of dirtbikes.

The 300's just for hairy chested nutters who like riding round on the back wheel:)
I rode my mates new 200 last weekend and my god it's fun, proper lunacy but lunacy you can live with.

I ride a 300 and i find it easier to ride than the 200 because of all the torque. yeah it can be mental but all in all you only get out of it as much as you twist your wrist.

#3 ·
the xc have much more power than the exc does in standard trim, there like the exc with red spring and jetted very crisp with a full system on. I know of pople who have bought the 300 xc and taken them straight back...........way to fast for them. I thought the 250 xc was just right but for me i didnt get the 2st thing

#5 ·
I'm getting the impression people love the 200 for the fun factor the 250 to be competitive, i'm about 14 stone kitted up. Think the 200 would be ok with that, also would it need a harder spring? Seems like the XC is the way to go, anyone know of a xc 200 or xc 250 08/09 for sale?

#6 ·
Mayhem

I have a 2008 200xc. road reg with lights etc

As you probably know it has a close ratio gearbox and closed cartridge forks, also a slightly larger tank than an EXC.

I have had 200/250 exc,s and a 250 four stroke.

The 200 xc is by far the best bike to put a smile on your face. You will either love or hate the way the power comes in. It is either on or off!!!! But this can be tamed if you play with the power vale, on the rht hand side of the engine.

It is plenty quick enough for me!!! Albeit I am an old git.

You really need to try the bikes befo you buy, some don't the power delivery of a 2 stroke, let alone the XC. It's not an animal, just entertaining!

Regards

peter

#7 ·
I am a KTM/2 stroke convert of a few Months having come from a Honda CRF250 thumper. I mostly race h&h and ride some mx practice tracks. I decided to go for a 2011 250XC and it is phenomenal!

It has got so much power if you want to scream it, but also loads of torque if you need to chug it up a greasy hill. I went for the 250 so that I can race a few mx races in the 450 class, whereas the 300 is pretty much limited to enduro's.

#8 ·
Yeah good point there Bush,
I've just put in an offer for an XC 200 and spoken to k tech about new heavier springs, they we awesome and after a few questions provided me with the exact stuff. Just need to get the bike now.
Bush see you were marshalling the norden TNT how'd it go? I'm away at the moment so missing most of the events gutted however hoping to do that southern countires H+H at the marine place on the 28th nov looks good.

#9 ·
I didn't make it to Marshal at Nordon dude, but a mate went and said it was a good track. I can't race at the moment due to work (I work for a firework company, so cannot afford to be injured when it is so busy!). I did however watch the SCEC round at Six Penny Handley last weekend, looked a good woodland track. I am hopefully going to race the next SCEC at the end of Nov and hopefully the TNT round in mid Nov at Bagshot.
Good luck with the 200!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.