KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

AT ktm.com we can read this for 2018:

New outer fork tubes and a reworked setting make for more sensitivity, improved damping behavior and a reduced weight. In addition, a sealed hydro-stop guarantees excellent resistance to bottoming-out.
Is anybody here who can confirm it or share real impression?
In 2017 compression clicker doesn't work for me and other riders as I know. What about in 2018?

Who knows how they reduced weight?

Best!
wtct

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Saved weight by being even thinner tubes - this helps flex at a guess hence the marketing chimps broadcast it as improvements. Effectively they are selling you less metal for more profit but that's life. Its nothing new here.

I rode a 17 the other week. Forks are nice at a certain speed range, rear shock bordering on dangerous on certain types of hits (sharp bump going down hill kicking rear up and not absorbing the bump) - if the 18s are an improvement over this as standard it'll be nice. I have an 18 on its way.

Reactions: erider

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't say much about the effect of clicker adjustment, but my first impression is that there is a noticeable improvement over the 17s. Feels much plusher on small sharp rocks etc (high speed?)
Nice! I feel too much shakes at terrain like this.

More opinions will be helpful.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I have a 17 and didn’t like the suspension out of the box.
I’ve ridden 3 18’s and they all felt spot on.
Just need the right springs for your weight and you should be okay.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
I can’t bloody wait!!!!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Mine set to comfort clickers and i am really happy, plusher buyt doesn't crash through the stroke

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I found the 18s to soft like the 17s and that's with the correct springs. Re sprung and revalved front and rear with a bladder conversion on the rear shock.:cool:

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Im running 4.4 springs and a 63-66-69 I'm 90kgs in my man knickers ive got 14 hours on it and feel the improvement even pushing on theyre better much better utilising more of the stroke and sitting higher but on my last ride i had some minor handling problems that i feel are associated with rear spring sag settings and my ride height
I need a little more saddle time and tweaking to be sure excelent bike though

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
2017 forks were awful. Compression leg had absolutely no damping at all, regardless of what settings you adjusted. It was just a pogo stick.

As a result I didn’t even try the 2018’s, just put my own forks on.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I think thats because all the dampening is on the other leg and all bolted together they work as a unit

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
mine leaked last week and left in to get new seals. Apparently rebound leg badly gouged from an off in rocks?

£160 please for bottom tube !!..... :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts