KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KTM recommend fully synthetic oil for RFS engines and the pundits always say it's vital that that recommendation is followed. So that's what I've always used in my EXCs, I'd never dream of using semi. Trouble is fully synth costs a feckin fortune and every time I have to re-stock I spend ages hunting around for the best deal.

Now the other day a highly respected forum member (well highly respected by me anyway) revealed that he's always used semi synth in his 540 which he has ridden daily (very aggressively knowing him) since the engine was rebuilt 2 and a half years ago. He said whenever he does an oil change the plug and screens always come out clean and the bike hasn't had any problems at all. Can anyone give a good reason why I shouldn't follow his example? (thus halving my oil costs ;))

·
Registered
940 Posts
Fully synthetic is meant to withstand higher temps better but if your changing that often i can't see semi syn breaking down that fast
Also if it was really important to use full syn i'd expect them to demand you use it not recommend

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fully synthetic is meant to withstand higher temps better but if your changing that often i can't see semi syn breaking down that fast
Also if it was really important to use full syn i'd expect them to demand you use it not recommend
RFS engines don't run that hot - I can touch the rads on mine without getting burnt even straight after an extended caning, if that means anything. I say fully synth is a recommendation but it's probably more accurate to say it's an instruction.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Search for ages for an answer to this and it appears people who make/sell fully syn say don't use anything else
where as people who pay for it say, they have used something else with no problems

If it was my bike i'd run semi if i knew someone else who had been doing it for 2½ years

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Search for ages for an answer to this and it appears people who make/sell fully syn say don't use anything else
where as people who pay for it say, they have used something else with no problems

If it was my bike i'd run semi if i knew someone else who had been doing it for 2½ years
Well that's my feeling too really. Your input much appreciated but was hoping I'd get some more definite responses to this thread like "oh no, not a good idea because blah blah and your mate has just been very lucky" and/or "yes perfectly ok, KTM only stipulate fully synth to be on the safe side ..."

A little while ago it occurred to me to try and get in touch with an oil expert who used to post on visordown {spit} under the name 3spoke - I was sure he'd posted here too - finally tracked him down, called himself spokey on here but hasn't posted in a long while - and unearthed this thread where he and I had a little chat - starts off with not very much but quickly gets very technical ...

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/general-discussion/34677-motorex-online.html

... interesting reading, but doesn't explain how the fella I was talking about earlier gets away with using less than "minimum spec" in his bike :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts